Flashback Friday

Hi, my name is Katie and I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks. Well, I work at the YMCA in Kids Korner so I've literally been near the gym but have not worked out in at least 2 weeks. You know what...it's alright. If your life is anything like mine, everything seems to hit at once. My baby girl is turning 1 on Sunday and we are throwing a big Moana themed soiree for my darling, which means I've been deep in party mode and doing one of my favorite dangerous activities- BAKING. (DUN DUN DUN!!) Also in the mix, my husband went on a business trip for almost a week, I went down the shore (I'm from NJ, we say down the shore ok?), both of us working, babies being born all around us and just living this life in general. It's been pretty hectic around here.

I have a tendency to beat myself up if I don't get to work out or if I don't track my calories. I really try to think of them as habits, some items on my big check list. I try to equate them to something like brushing my teeth or doing the dishes, one thing to accomplish during my day. Tracking calories is easy, I use MyFitnessPal on my phone which is very convenient. Some times though I have to sit back, take a breath and cut myself a little slack. That is very hard for me to do. I've lost 100 pounds in the last two-ish years and despite that amazing accomplishment I have a lot farther to go. I always find myself brushing that fact off which is bananas. (BANANAS B-A-N-A-N-A-S! I have a soft spot for Gwen Stefani.) The past few weeks have been hard to accept things because I am roughly the same weight I was this time last year. I started getting upset that during a whole year I only lost 3 pounds. What a waste! says my mind. But I took a breath finally and thought about the last year. We brought home a precious little girl, unexpectedly. (Foster to adoption, I wish I could tell you more but for now I can't. Legal stuff is hard and private.) I've been a mama to a baby girl who is my whole world and has changed my life in ways I can't even describe. My parents moved across the country back home to be with us and lived with us for months until they found a new home. My family has struggled with mental illness. We joined a new church and gained a whole new support system. I am now a cantor for said church. I've been working at the YMCA over a year and gained the friendships of my Kids Korner ladies who are amazing women and moms. While all those huge things were happening I kept to my new healthier lifestyle as much as I could and I managed to maintain instead of gaining it all back. All in all, I was a strong person this year and I'm still motivated not to give up. Not too shabby.

I was looking through photos last night, getting things together for the party and I came across so many photos of myself from just three years ago and I am reminded that I am not the same woman. I'm smaller, I'm stronger, my smile is brighter and I'm going to keep moving.

2015...





2018...





So go forth dear readers. Embrace your past, your present and future. Enjoy your weekend knowing we are always moving forward. No matter how hard the finish line, it's still a long way from the starting point. 

Comments