Smoothie Sunday




Today's smoothie contenders are Chocolate PB2 powder, frozen strawberries and bananas, and plain greek yogurt. This looks totally planned out but the truth is, I decided to make smoothies for breakfast on a whim. I lay in bed at 6 AM while baby girl bounced between me and her Daddy while watching Moana for the 1000th time (It CALLS MEEEE). Our kitchen is in that awkward stage of the week where you haven't had a chance to go grocery shopping yet, so the refrigerator and cabinets are bare except for random things that have been there since time began. Mostly cans of beans, cooking spray, slices of cheese, a few onions and one can of pumpkin pie filling that has been sitting there since last Thanksgiving. Is it socially acceptable to have pumpkin pie filling for breakfast now that it's September? It's organic! No?? Oh well....

I happened to remember we had some yogurt left and the powder and frozen fruit are always staples I tend to hoard every time there is a sale. In my travels in weight loss country to set myself up for success I need to prep, whether it's whole meals or just basic ingredients I use all the time. I'm all about that convenience life. Eating healthy and navigating through that is tough enough and I like to make it easy when I can. In the past I've gone to one of our local farmer's markets at close out time and bought 20lbs of bananas and a crate of blackberries for next to nothing and spent the rest of my Saturday night prepping them for the freezer. I promise you I'm not crazy. There's something satisfying about a full freezer, am I right? Just me?

Anyway, I've made this smoothie before without the strawberries and it's ah-mazing. It tastes like a milkshake but with less sugar and calories. That smoothie got me through the last Lenten season when I gave up ice cream (which as most people know took superhuman strength because ice cream is my favorite dessert of all time). I decided to try the strawberries this time because I had a hungry family waiting, I had to get ready for church and and this bag was the last frozen fruit I had besides blackberries. Strawberries and bananas seemed the better choice with PB than blackberries.







It took a few minutes but my trusty blender got the job done (had to add a bit of milk to reduce the thickness) and produced this very pretty pink concoction. In hipster fashion I poured it in a mason jar and took a picture for Instagram. (Just kidding, I got the mason jars for free from my mom and totally forgot to post anything to Instagram because I'm lucky I remembered my own name today.) The smoothie was very light and it hit the spot. However, the strawberries were very overpowering and masked the other flavors. In the future I think I'll have to come up with a different use for the strawberries. I always forget frozen berries are super tart and I wasn't totally paying attention to the strawberry/banana ratio. In the end I was glad I whipped something up instead of being tempted to go to Wawa for something quick.



Comments